Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tram 22

Jana Domov Mladeze Hostel
Prague, Czech Republic
Saturday, 17, May 2008
1:07 PM (USA)/ 7:07 PM (CR)



sitting on the balcony of my hostel, Jana Domov

I'm not sure, but I believe that the girls chicly dressed in all black behind me are French, so I'm trying my utmost in my double-patterened, no-black-to-be-found shirt to appear elegante ;)

Anway, about the day today. We had orientation at the Prague Institute, which is where our classes are held, and got a run down of Czech History and general information. After the information part we went on a walking tour to get our bearings and such, which was fun; however, after that was over we were free to do whatever because we have a tram AND subway pass that covers us the entire time we are here, so all we do is hop on tram or subway and head back to the hostel, when ever we please.

Sooooo, we walked around a bit extra and hopped on Tram 22. We accidentally got off at the wrong stop...

However, it was the most fun we've had all day!! We went to a festival/concert that we being held in the park. It was like a Renaissance festival or something, but there was a pony ride, candy, a band and a roasted pig...yes that's right a WHOLE roasted pig. It was scewered through the mouth and going alllll the way out the, well, you know, haha.

That little "happy accident" showed me the Prague that I was looking for. I hate cliche meaningless tourists points because, yes, they may be wonderful and world renowned, but I appreciate the other part of exploring a city more. I like to see the people that live here with their dogs and children, like at that festival.

The best place to get the feel of your new culture and the people is the market/ grocery store. The Tessco, their Wal-Mart, has a WONDERFUL supermarket with fresh eggs, tomatoes, fruits and bread, bread, bread. It was amazing. The packaging was different, no obnoxious colors and real material was used such as tin and stronger pasteboard. The people shopped different, for example no carts were to be found, only simple hand baskets that from what I saw, were filled with chicken breasts/ fish, leeks, a loaf of freshly baked bread and wine and/or beer (by the way Czech's drink more beer per capita than any other country). They were quick but not frantic, cosey in the sense of being in an outdoor market but not so close that you felt claustrophobic. Basically I felt that it was very wholesome and not a show put on for others to see how "healthy" or "green" they were being, they simply live and have lived this way their whole lives.

Another great and overwhelming thing about Prague is the architecture. People ooh- and ahh over it all day long, but until you see it in person, you can't possibly experience the magnitude and beauty of these buildings. There isn't just ONE row of historic houses, but the ENTIRE CITY, there are no plane facades to be found.

Prague is rich in history and people and I'm slowly figuring it out :)

I think Faran and I are going to go out for some supper/walking while it is still day light, so with that much love to you all and I'll be seeing you soon :)

1 comment:

hardyparty said...

Christin, I really have enjoyed reading each post tremendously! It's the next best thing to being there and is a blessing. Love you, Mama